Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Could he be updating... already???

Yup. 4 days suckers. I think I'm getting better at this. At least for now.

This week has been a little bit rough, (and its only Wednesday!!!) mostly because I've been feeling pretty crummy for the last few days. I'm about ready to get rid of whatever it is I have because its really sapping my energy. I feel kinda like Garth Algar when the Suck-Kut is sucking his will to live. I think in my case, however, the sinus infection is really just SUCKING MY WILL TO WORKKKKKKK!!!!!

Though last few days haven't been so swell, today was most excellent.
Why, you ask?
Well, two really awesome things happened that I would love to tell you about.

1st awesome occurrence of the day:
A group of eight students from Glenunga High School in Adelaide, Australia came to visit my school today! Kita Otsu High School and Glenunga established a sister school contract back in 2006 and Kita Otsu has been sending students to study abroad there for the last twelve years or so. How do I know such things??? I had the honor and distinction of translating our principal's welcome speech for the visiting students and teachers in my "funny" voice (as my student's say). It was jam packed with bits of historical information that I absolutely relished.

So, all afternoon, I just hung out with the visiting students and got to speak English with native English speakers!!! You have no idea how excited I was when people finally understood my Simpsons and Flight of the Concords references! The students were all really awesome and excited to be there, and it really made my day all the more fun to hang out with them. It's kinda crazy, because when talking with them, I realized that I actually do know quite a bit about this country. I feel like a grizzled veteran of two whole months. I made sure to impart my infinite wisdom to the new adventurers. You know, things like "don't, under any circumstance, eat natto" and so on. (I was planning on giving a few more examples of what I told the students, but I realized that "don't eat natto" is about the only worthwhile thing I told them. So much for imparting wisdom.)

I feel like I should give Maddy's mom a shoutout from Japan, since she stumbled upon my blog the other day. Thanks for your comment and your daughter is having a wonderful trip! (So i assume...)

the 2nd totally stupendous event of the day?
The group of ladies that I teach every other Wednesday night threw me a welcome to Japan party tonight! It was tha bombbbbbb! Essentially two hours of eating deliciously scrumptious Japanese food and playing bingo and scattergories. They really went all out on the dinner and I can't thank them enough for feeding me tonight and probably for the next twelve nights too! I seriously came home tonight with about a dozen meals' worth of food! Anybody want sushi??? Better come over quick, while its fresh!

So, that's all I really have to tell you, Internet world.
Maybe the key to blogging is shorter, more frequent updates. I'll take this method for a spin around the block. Be back in a few days, perhaps.

Much love
John

3 comments:

  1. Hi John
    Thanks for the hello. Two of my other children think that I'm stalking you and that it's weird that I'm writing comments on your blog.
    Hope Maddy got a suprise when you told her - probably along the lines of "bloody Mum even finds out what I'm up to, even when I'm in a different country". Children should know that mothers are the best spies.
    Great to hear they are having such a good time, and that you enjoyed their company.
    Sounds like you have been sick but hopefully the food from your "Wednesday Ladies" will help.
    Must be going- have a nice glass of Aussie red wine beckoning..
    Liz (Maddy's Mum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You blog too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, You will have to guess who anonymous is.

    ReplyDelete